- Rice powder- 2 cups
- Jagerry-3/4 cup to 1 cup ( according to taste)
- Water-1/2 cup
- Coconut pieces-1/4 cup
- Ghee-1 tbsp
- Banana (palayan kodan pazham)-1 or 2 nos
- Baking Soda-1/4 tsp(optional)
- Add water to grated jagerry and heat until it is melted.Let it cool.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the coconut pieces.Fry until it turns golden brown.
- Grind banana to form a smooth paste.Keep aside.
- Combine together rice powder,melted jagerry and banana puree.Pour in more water as required to get a consistency of idili batter.Add fried coconut pieces and baking soda.Mix well and keep aside for 1 to 2 hours for fermentation.
- Heat oil in a unniappachatti,when oil is hot reduce the flame to medium and pour a tablespoon of batter into each hole.
- After 2 to 3 minutes,turn the unniappams using a fork.Cook until it turns golden brown.
- Drain on a kitchen towel.
- You can adjust the quantity of jagerry according to your taste.
- You can also add 2 to 3 powdered cardamom and 1/8 tsp ginger powder if desired.