- Mutton-500 gms
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf- 1 no
- Cardamom pods- 2 nos
- Cloves- 2 nos
- Cinnamon-2" piece
- Ginger ( chopped finely)- 1" piece
- Garlic (chopped finely)- 5 to 6 cloves
- Onion ( sliced )- 2 medium
- Shallots ( sliced)- 1 cup
- Green Chilies (cut vertically)- 2 to 3 ( see note)
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder-1/2 tsp( see note)
- Garam Masala powder-1/2 tsp
- Fennel powder-1/2 tsp
- Tomato ( sliced)- 1 small
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut-1/2 cup
- Black pepper corns-1 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Coconut ( sliced)-3 tbsp
- Curryleaves- 1 sprig
- Place the mutton pieces in a pressure cooker along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,salt to taste and 1/4 cup water.Cook until mutton is just done.Separate the mutton pieces from the stock and keep aside.
- Meanwhile add grated coconut in a pan and dry roast it until it turns brown.( Be sure not to burn it).Switch off the stove and add black peppercorns .Grind this to a smooth paste without adding water.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add bay leaves,cardamom,cloves and cinnamon.Saute for a few seconds.Now add onion,shallots , green chilies and salt to taste.Saute for about 10 to 15 minutes on a medium flame, until it turns golden brown.
- Reduce the flame to low and add coriander powder,red chili powder,garam masala and fennel powder along with 2 tbsp water.Saute for about 5 minutes or until oil separates.
- Now add the cooked mutton pieces and mix well until combined.Add the coconut paste ,tomato and sufficient quantity of stock.Adjust the salt level at this point.Cover and cook over a medium flame for about 10 to 12 minutes or until gravy is thick enough.
- Now for tempering,heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add shallots ,coconut slices and curry leaves .Saute until it turns golden brown.Pour this over the curry.
I used 5 green chilies and did not use red chili powder.You can adjust the spice level according to your taste.
Sending this to EP series @ SpiceNFlavors