Radhika of Tickling Palates is hosting a fun event named BLOG HOP WEDNESDAYS.This week i am paired with Kaveri of Palakkad Chamayal.I tried out this spicy and delicious Chettinad Urulai roast from her blog,. You can find the original recipe here.
- Potato(diced and cooked)- 250gms
- Mustard seeds
- Asafoetida- 1 pinch
- Garlic .crushed- 1/2 tsp
- Onion chopped finely-1 small
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
To roast and grind
- Split urud dal/uzhunnu parippu- 2 tsp
- Dry red chillies-3 nos
- Whole black pepper corns-5 to 6 nos
- Heat a pan and dry roast the urud dal,once its colour starts to change ,add dry red chillies and pepper corns. Roast until urud dal turns golden brown.
- Allow this to cool and grind to form a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in the same pan ,add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Now add asafoetida and curryleaves.
- Now add garlic , onion and turmeric powder.Saute till onion turns golden brown .
- Add the boiled potato and stir carefuly.Add salt to taste and saute for 5 minutes.
- Now add the spice powder and mix well.
Serve with rice.